gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Ok guys, I got lots of pics!!
Ok guys, I got lots of pics!! 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
PLS
Hopefully, anyway. My friend took some today of my Grand Sport Delux Frankenbike.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
PLS
I have wondered how long these bars have been on the bike, unfortunately, the computer is covering up the other stamp.

As I said in my first posting, I was originally drawn to this bike because of her unusual bars, which inspired me to name her "Valkyrie" before I had a chance to take her for a spin. Good thing it worked out, I would have been heart broken if I hadn't been comfortable on her.

In 1980 I got a Raleigh 10 speed women's road bike, the type with dropped bars and the top tube(s) sloping down. I had always wanted a 10 speed, thought they looked cool. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the bike much, and that went double for the dropped bars, which I never liked.

I started riding a little mountain bike in late June of '09 on my local rail trail to lose weight. Along the way what started out as exercise has turned into a passion, but I started out in really bad shape. I was almost 54, overweight, having cardiac symptoms, and had just quit smoking a couple of months before. Not a pretty picture, I can assure you. So I had to crawl forward, it's taken a long time to build up my cardio capacity, so the ability to have a more upright stance was really key.

I live in New Hampshire, which means a lot of climbing. That's when I really prefer to be upright. And those bars really help when you need to stand too, something I wasn't strong enough to do last year.

Long story short, that's why I was so drawn to this bike, it was her unusual bars that inspired me to try a road bike again. When I started to ride her this spring I really fell in love with riding on a whole new level. I posted these picks after completing a 38 mile ride with a friend today, a friend with a digital camera and the ability to upload pics. Pretty easy terrain for New Hampshire, with only 4 nasty climbs in terms of grade, none longer than 1/2 to 3/4ers of a mile though. Still it was easy, clearly I have ridden Val into a whole new world.

Needless to say, I still love her bars.

PLS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
We all enjoy restoring & visiting about our rides.

But It comes back to the simple thrill and fun of riding, and the health advantages that fun can bring back to us. Frankenbike or classic Gitane vintage restoration. The machine can do wonders for our health and psyche.

38 miles ---Bravo Look how far you've come !!!

Wishing you fun and good health, thanks for the images.

Peace & Good Health !!!

I Like Steel !!!!!
Re: Bravo, Good Health to You !!!! 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
PLS
smilingroadrunner wrote:
We all enjoy restoring & visiting about our rides.

But It comes back to the simple thrill and fun of riding, and the health advantages that fun can bring back to us. Frankenbike or classic Gitane vintage restoration. The machine can do wonders for our health and psyche.

38 miles ---Bravo Look how far you've come !!!

Wishing you fun and good health, thanks for the images.

Peace & Good Health !!!

I Like Steel !!!!!
__________________So true, I am so glad I started riding. Thanks for your kind words.
C.A.
Salina, Ks.

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane