gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Need help for delta restoration Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Need help for delta restoration 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:55 am Reply with quote
radsonne
Hello from Germany
I need some help for my delta project
A few years ago I bought in France a repainted delta (Powder coated grrrr) Iam abicycle collector for all types of bicyle that means from 1817 up to now. My major interest is in older bikes so Iam not an expert in newer ones.
Iam looking for reproduction transfers ( also this small ones for the handlebar) What's the about correct blue . Wis ther a paint classifaction ( we call them here RAL Numbers )

Thank you for your help

Last edited by radsonne on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Oh my! That is perhaps the ONLY Gitane Delta (road version) that anyone has ever seen (at least in the last decade)! You have a true GEM there!

Please post more pictures, specially of the bar/stem assembly, and how the brake cables will route!

That bike will be difficult to get accurate reproduction decals for, because the downtube and seat tube used large size "Gitane" bubble logos. The small ones for the bars should be easy (they are included in this set):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gitane-set-decals-vintage-/300369374582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ef68ed76

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Hi, I just touched up/repainted my '85 gitane Professional and even though we have a paint booth and mixing lab, it was easier to just buy auto touch up paint in cans and spray. The paint is German anyway so it might help. I have painted many cars and bikes and a quality paint in can is easy to use and perfect for bike tubes. Anyway, the clear coat can be rubbed out and everything looks pretty good.

New paints (water based for cars) use urethane clear coats which can go on heavy and can look too deep. So I think that cans are just fine. But, a paint booth allows you to heat everything up and the end result is more resistant with urethane.

You probably know this already.

The reference I found closest after trying 5 or 6 colors on white primed metal and after clearcoat is Dupli-color 53980 or Dupli-color 20-0270.

Both colors had a slight less saturation of blue but worked out OK.
Like I said this is a German product and found in auto parts stores in France.

Motip Dupli GmbH (www.motipdupli.com)

My 70's Gitanes have different blues and seem more like "candy" see through paint on a whitish base coat.

I have never found any references for Gitane bike paint colors. Maybe someone knows.

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Actually, did they ever come in Blue?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Yessir. Look at the GitaneUSA homepage. www.gitaneusa.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
radsonne
Hello sandrain Nice to hear this. I post some other pictures. As you can see it is in as found condition. I was told it was owned a short time by Thierry Bourginon and was used also in the Toshiba Team. But this is prooved by nothing. The last owner wanted to transform it. But some weeks after buying the small fronwheels where no longer allowed. So he stored it unfinished in his garage.
Please would you tell me what components are not correct.
Theseare my only picturesfrom last year . The bike is stored some miles away
[url]

[/url]

To be honest not all details are best craftmenship . As the ugly hole for the cable near the shifter for the front derailleur
or the not exact seat post.

Frenchbuilt Thank you for the tip with duplicolor. The factory is only 40 miles away from me and they have a large outlet.
sandrian are the correct decals are they only enlarged ? so it might be possible to enlarege them by a friend . Are they on the surface or under a transparent paint

I own too the earlier TT machine is this the same colour?
Here a picture (as bouht on german ebay condition)

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
For the color and application of logos, check here: www.GitaneUSA.com

By the way, meine Mutter kommt aus Hessen (in der nahe von Kassel). Meine lieblings fussballmannschaft ist SGE (Eintracht Frankfurt).

Regarding the craftsmanship, it is typical French. But this bike was very revolutionary for the time: It still looks modern, even by today's TT bike standards.

Components all depend on what year you want to recreate the bike for. They used the same bicycle for time trials from 1984 through 1990. Of course, the paint scheme and decals did change during that time. Here are some pictures of it in different colors:

I would say that this is the "classic" color/decal scheme (1984-1986):
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/models/timetrial/Laurent-Fignon.jpg

In 1987, they used the same color for the bikes, but changed the decals to a "systeme u" motif, which I have pictured in a poster, but can't seem to find any pictures online of (it is pretty rare to see).

This is the color scheme used in 1988:
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/models/timetrial/1984-1988-TT-Bike.jpg

Your bicycle has been sought after by me for YEARS. We have only seen one...a track version...somewhere in Indiana, and never the road version. If you want to get rid of it, I have first crack at it!!! What size, by the way?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
lofter
im speechless , im shocked ,im just speechless . im , im ,im ......... there is a gitane god after all. a sliver of heaven has ascended upon us. my god this cant be happening.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
lofter
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1988/maxi/02.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40365317@N06/5431549356/in/faves-steel-is-real/

http://postimage.org/image/22jitl9vo/

the third link is what i think it is. it has the tapered back tube and hidden deraileur cables.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
lofter
let's start to look a little bit . 650 front wheel . what yrs did they run those ?systeme u? toshiba?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
lofter
its just so hard to tell since weve never seen or had anything to compare it to .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
scozim
lofter wrote:
im speechless , im shocked ,im just speechless . im , im ,im ......... there is a gitane god after all. a sliver of heaven has ascended upon us. my god this cant be happening.

I'm with you lofter - I'd die if I stumbled across a Delta. Heck, there's a lot of barns around here maybe I should start exploring them. Smile

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
lofter
sandranian wrote:
Your bicycle has been sought after by me for YEARS. We have only seen one...a track version...somewhere in Indiana, and never the road version. If you want to get rid of it, I have first crack at it!!! What size, by the way?

yup by me too , lol i hear ya, i think,,,,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
lofter
scozim wrote:
lofter wrote:

I'm with you lofter - I'd die if I stumbled across a Delta. Heck, there's a lot of barns around here maybe I should start exploring them. Smile

i'll tell ya what ,i'll never let another slip thru my hands like last time. i will cut my arm off and rob peter to pay paul. dam... i'd even sell the harley. ouch that hurts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
They ran the 650 front wheel from 1984 through 1990.

Need help for delta restoration 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane