gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Help Identifying this Gitane
Help Identifying this Gitane 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
themichaelwells
Can anyone provide me with some information regarding this Gitane. I know it's one of the lower end models, likely a Gitane Pacific, but would like to upgrade the old cottered cranks. Does anyone know if these older low end models have French threaded bottom brackets?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
This will likely be French threaded. Why would you want to replace the cranks on this? These bikes are great, by the way. Just re-did one for my wife, and she loves it.

Contrary to popular opinion in the USA, these "mixte" bikes were NOT women's bikes, but rather "unisex". They are durable and ride well...even if they are a bit heavy!

Gypsy or Gran Sport 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Welcome to town...

I suspect that it's a 1975 or 76 Gitane Gypsy or Gran Sport (not a Gran Sport DeLuxe).

These bikes were distributed by Gitane Pacific and I think that they may have come into the US as bare frames without the decals. They were assembled here in California by Gitane Pacific.

If you want to switch to an alloy cotterless crank you will need to find a metric (French) thread bottom bracket. The cranks and BB will probably set you back $50 to $100 USD.

Your money may be better spent on getting some alloy rims instead. That's where you can make the biggest improvement in performance - up to 3 Lbs. weight savings (plus they may slow down better when wet).

You can probably get some 700c rims laced to your wheels cheaper than finding an ally crankset with a metric BB.

27" wheels have been obsolete for many years. 700c offers a far wider choice of rims and tires. New stainless steel spokes are much stronger than the old steel spokes on you bike plus they wont rust.

Good luck!
Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
themichaelwells
Thanks for the information. I'm curious, is there any reason that a sealed French thread bottom bracket from Velo Orange won't work with the newer Shimano crankset I intend to place on this bicycle?

Wheels are next up. I'm lucky enough to have access to a bike co-op that's overloaded with parts. I plan on tracking down some decent rims and hubs and building the wheels myself.

Thanks again. This is my girlfriend's bike and having the information in advance definitely helps me plan better. Better planning means less time off the road.
Good saddle 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I'd do the saddle 1st! A comfortable saddle is much more important for women riders than us guys! Wink

BTW. those thick cushy gel saddles are comfortable for about 5 miles then you start sinking in and getting pressure where you don't want it.

Next brakes, new pads and cables are critical.

Then I'd do the wheels.

Cranks and derailleurs are more vanity items than critical components when it comes to riding.

Last edited by verktyg on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
scozim
sandranian wrote:
This will likely be French threaded. Why would you want to replace the cranks on this? These bikes are great, by the way. Just re-did one for my wife, and she loves it.

Contrary to popular opinion in the USA, these "mixte" bikes were NOT women's bikes, but rather "unisex". They are durable and ride well...even if they are a bit heavy!

I would agree - I've had two mixtes pass my hands (non-Gitane, but one was French) in the past 18 months and both have new homes. But, I rode one regularly to the mailbox and with the kids and it was really a fun bike.

I would pencil out what you really want for the bike. As Chas says wheels will save you the most weight. I switched a late 60's French bike from cottered cranks to cotterless by using a different spindle for an Italian bottom bracket - ie 70mm. The spindle I used is difficult to find now but worked perfectly with the French thread cups already on the bike. In fact, I just rode the bike for 25 miles today and probably 300 in the past two months.

The VO bb should work fine but for me it was $8 vs $50. Personally, why Shimano? You can find some nice looking French cranksets.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
themichaelwells
This is all great advice and I thank everyone for it. I'm still curious about the prospects of using a Velo Orange sealed French threaded bottom bracket on this bicycle. *WARNING* I do not intend to tackle this project immediately. I am simply gathering information for the future and have no experience working on French bicycles. The brakes have been redone, the wheels are in the works, and a new saddle will soon be in the offing. I happen to have a decent crankset sitting around that I'm not using, so changing it out will happen at some point as well. Now, with that being said...will someome please shed some light on whether or not I will be able to use the aforementioned bottom bracket with this bicycle?

Thanks again.
Yes it'll work, but there is a problem... 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
gmany
The tricky part is getting the correct length.

For instance, I replaced the BB in my regular rider (triple chainring before and after) late last year. I bought one the same length as the original (circa 1989). Installing it was simple and easy, however after tightening the crank arms, they each sat probably 5mm or so further off the spindle than the original which was nearly bottomed out (I tried retightening to no avail). That meant I had to adjust the front derailleur and then the largest chainring could only be used on half the cassette.

I'd try using your original BB to size up the length to get for the cranks you want to use.

Oh, if removing the original BB gets tough look at the tool tip from the late Sheldon Brown's website. - I still needed to use a breaker though.

VO BB 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
themichaelwells wrote:
I happen to have a decent crankset sitting around that I'm not using, so changing it out will happen at some point as well. Now, with that being said...will someome please shed some light on whether or not I will be able to use the aforementioned bottom bracket with this bicycle?

Yes but you will need the proper BB axle length.

The VO French BBs come in 103mm, 107mm, 110mm, 113mm, 116mm, 118mm and 122mm widths.

The width needs to be long enough for the chainrings to clear the right chain stay when tightened up. The short ones are for single chainrings and the longest for a triple.

The crank arm will move onto the spindle about 2 mm when tightened.

You need to know the make and models of the cranks.

I put together this Flicker set to demonstrate some of the problems that you can encounter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28267220@N05/sets/72157627678462359/

Measure twice, cut once... Don't guess! Sad

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: VO BB 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
scozim
verktyg wrote:

Yes but you will need the proper BB axle length.

The VO French BBs come in 103mm, 107mm, 110mm, 113mm, 116mm, 118mm and 122mm widths.

The width needs to be long enough for the chainrings to clear the right chain stay when tightened up. The short ones are for single chainrings and the longest for a triple.

The crank arm will move onto the spindle about 2 mm when tightened.

You need to know the make and models of the cranks.

I put together this Flicker set to demonstrate some of the problems that you can encounter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28267220@N05/sets/72157627678462359/

Measure twice, cut once... Don't guess! Sad

Great photos Chas. I ordered a Velo Orange threadless bb for a French project a few years ago. I had some Campy S.R. cranks that from what I could find needed a 113mm bb. So I ordered that one. When I tightened the crank up the inner ring hit the right chainstay. I ended up switching to a Sugino crankset and it worked perfectly.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Help Identifying this Gitane 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane