gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 83 Gitane Sprint - link to FGG Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I found a nice Peugeot (531) once...but it wasn't my size, so it was sold on Ebay. That's about as great a find as I have ever made (certainly not a Campy Masi).

That being said, I don't really spend much time looking around dumpsters....

Biggest objection to fixie riders 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote
verktyg
I've marched to the beat of a different drummer most of my life and as such, I've avoided fads of all kinds.

I probably wouldn't take issue with fixie riders if it weren't for the blatant disregard for the rules of the road many of these riders display.

All the time and effort to get motorists to "Share the Road" goes out the window when one of these fools cuts in front of a motor vehicle and pisses off the driver.

That's my main issue! Mad

BTW - Cubism wasn't trendy. It was one of the most radical departures from the existing norm in the history of Western art.

Chas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:32 pm Reply with quote
urbanseeds
sandranian wrote:
I found a nice Peugeot (531) once...but it wasn't my size, so it was sold on Ebay. That's about as great a find as I have ever made (certainly not a Campy Masi).

That being said, I don't really spend much time looking around dumpsters....

This is why "you guys" never find good bikes in a dumpster. It's KARMA. You find a bike in the dumpster and it doesn't fit and then sell it on Craigslist or EBAY.

You have to re-gift them or fix them and give them to someone who will ride it.

(sandranian...this was a generalization from your post, not pointed directly back at you)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I guess I am guilty of being a capitalist at heart. Someone has to pay to keep this site up (me!), which I guess is my "donation" to the cycling commune. Wink

supporting the community 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
And greatly appreciated it is too.

Here's wishing you good karma for it sandman.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel
I'll second that!!! 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
I Agree totally Wisey!!!

And as I've mentioned before Sandman; this site and it's members has become a wonderful resource. The forum members have informed, entertained, and enlightened me, since joining earlier this year. So my heartfelt appreciation for the work you do to keep this site up and running.

Just a good example: As I sit here early in the morning rambling from somewhat of a pain medication "high" following the surgical removal of my last wisdom tooth. Cool Sad This 54yr old dentist really appreciated reading old postings as a way of keeping my mind off the rather sore lower left jaw. Hopefully all will recover as successfully as the R side in '94, and I can get back on the bike in a week or two.

For my part, I try to share what I've learned and what I'm learning about these Vintage rides with the young local "wrenches" (sp) at my neighborhood bike shop, as they ask about my T de F projects.

I won't even start to comment about "rules of the road" and lack of respect by drivers--until my thoughts are not "chemically influenced"; but Chas I agree, we all have to ride responsibly if we are to continue to gain or not further loose the respect of some of the drivers we share the roadways with over that last decades.

Time for some Ibuprofen and see if sleep will follow.

C.A. Ritter Jr.
Salina, Ks.

Last edited by smilingroadrunner on Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
sadfacedroadrunner 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Please forgive me for this, but I find it somewhat poetic that a dentist has to go through the pain of haveing wisdom teeth out. I still recall the highlights of having mine out:

Went to dentist. Told to go get detailed x-rays.

Returned to dentist who put x-rays up on light box and said, "well I guess I'll get started on writing your referal to a surgeon". Surprised

Made appointment with surgeon, who also looked at x-rays for 2 seconds, said "bloody hell" Shocked and continued to study x-rays in silence for another 5 minutes.......... then said, " hope you don't mind general anaesthetic.... Crying or Very sad "

= surgery etc etc / badly impacted / blah, blah, blah.....

woke up from general anaesthetic as nurses were changing shift. Nurse one handing me over to nurse two. She said something like, " the surgeon said to get the ice on this one quick smart, it was really rough and he had to smash them up to get them out" Shocked

That gives you confidence............. Rolling Eyes

Sorry to here you're laid up though, it is no fun at all. Unless.........

get those drugs into you with a beer chaser and enjoy some sweet sweet dreems.....

get well soon, mate. and back on the bike.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel
Thanks Wisey 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:20 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Thanks for the get well. I did manage about 4-5 hrs of restless sleep. We all probably have some stories of different physical ailments. Probably some degree of "just deserts" that oral surgeon originally would not consider removal of these difficult Class 3 horizontal bony 3rd molar impactions when I first consulted him in 1981. His comment was "Unless these puppies give you a problem we leave them alone" Well the '94 removal became necessary, and now 13 years later the lower left. Hopefully this recovery will be smooth.

Actually feeling OK this morning, tender and swollen, only hurts when I talk and eat ---so my Mrs. probably will enjoy a quite evening.

Generally, I'm sound asleep at the time I composed last night's post--so I did appreciate your response and anecdote.

Off to the store for a moment for some yougurt and bananas. And as I ramble on, I digress---after all this is a forum about bicycles.

Think I'll bring the Blue '70 TdeF frame up from the shop and work on trying to remove some of the rust bubbles and clean up the paint finish--it's not physically taxing work just slow and meticulous. Something to help past time and keep my mind occupied.

Peace & Good Health all!!

C.A. Ritter Jr.
Salina, Ks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
urbanseeds
sandranian wrote:
I guess I am guilty of being a capitalist at heart. Someone has to pay to keep this site up (me!), which I guess is my "donation" to the cycling commune. Wink

I stand corrected. This site is a huge contribution to cycling and the KARMA bowl. It appears you put in more than you take out.

You'll find a vintage racer in the dumpster some day soon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Woohoo!!! My wife will be so proud of me...regarding my good karma!

Actually, I barter my legal services to the web designer (I will leave it to him as to what those are worth...), so the costs really are kept at a minimum. Besides that, it is my hobby, and this is the only way I can ensure that a bunch of people talk about my favorite brand of bicycle, which is the only brand that I am interested in talking about. So I guess that I am motivated by selfishness, which isn't so good!

It's all in good fun, and I think it is great that people talk about bikes and whatnot.

Can't wait to find that bike that I have coming to me! Wink

83 Gitane Sprint - link to FGG 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane