gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Gitane Racing » Look Bernard Hinault model bike on eBay Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Chas,

That machine does sound expensive in that condition. Keep looking, as I'm sure you do, because that desired machine is there somewhere. Like the fabled Delta.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Tim,

I had an orange 1978 all Campy Colnago Super that was my pride and joy. It got stolen in 1981. I replaced it with an all French Andre Bertin team model with gold anodized Mafac brakes and gold Simplex SLJ derailleurs.

The Bertin weighed 19 Lbs. when I got it. It came with light weight tubular wheels and an extra light frame made of Super Vitus 971/980 tubing. It pretty much became a wall hanger for the next 25 years because it was too pretty and most of my riding was off road.

When I started road riding again about 2 years ago, I had a longing for another "Nag". I found a bright red early 80s Super frame on eBay and assembled it with mostly non Campy components, a real frankenbike! Laughing

Once I assembled my 84 Gitane Super Corsa, the Nag got less and less use. Cool The Bertin still gets a workout every month or so.

I'm still looking for a 57cm early 70s TdF or Super Corsa, preferably orange or gold or turquoise or.... Wink

Chas.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Chas,

Sorry about the 1978 Colnago but good to know that you have a replacement. However, the Bertin sounds very nice and good to hear that it gets an outing every now and then. I have trouble rotating my machines because I usually get stuck on a particular one for too long, then winter arrives and I'm again back to the run about.

I'm sure as bicycles begin to see a return to a more popular activity for many people, the older machines will make their presence known as people wish to move them on or dust them off for a ride. I've certainly seen more in the last six months or so. I'm sure the TDF or Super Corsa is out there.

How common or rare are the Olympic / Super Olympic models? I just wondered about your thoughts as they seem to be fairly elusive.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Gtane wrote:
How common or rare are the Olympic / Super Olympic models? I just wondered about your thoughts as they seem to be fairly elusive.

Tim,

I've never seen one of these models, only pictures in the French catalogs on this site. Based on the information in the catalogs I've surmised that they were non US models and that certain bikes that have shown up on eBay were Olympic or Super Olympic models.

During the US Bike Boom, most derailleur bikes were called "10 speed racers". Rolling Eyes

Most of these bikes sold for less than $100 USD. In US in those days $250 to $500 USD was a lot of money to spend on a bike. The more expensive models were mainly sold to wealthier customers (who usually didn't ride them very much) and cycling enthusiasts (who did ride them a lot).

The Gitane Tour de France and Peugeot PX10 models sold for ~$225-$275 USD in the early 1970. They were some of the most popular performance bikes during the Bike Boom. That's probably why there are still a lot of them around.

A large number of the bikes sold in the 70s have been recycled into cars, refrigerators or bridges! Crying or Very sad

Here's a gate made of old bicycle frames welded together that we ran across on one of our rides. Notice the Gitane Gran Sport:

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Chas,

Ahh, that's interesting. So there could well be some good buys regards those models. I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks too for a market overview. I'd agree. That's a very accurate distillation.

We too had the same in the UK regards the term '10 Speed Racer' but it was virtually always preceded by the word 'Gents'. I remember scouring classified Ads in the '70s and early '80s where these 10 speed machines were always described in this way. That's really taken me back and I'm interested to hear that this was also the description in the US. Continuing on that theme, I have a copy of the 'International Cycling Guide' from 1980 (published in the UK and the US) and it's peppered with these 10 speed machines, although the guide shows older shots than of the period, it's a terrific encapsulation of world cycling at the time. I'm sure you know the guide.

What a gate? That really is a curiosity.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Troy71
sandranian wrote:
Damned Fignon and the friggin Raleighs!

Fignons Raleigh was build by Cyfac 89. Thats the same like Dario Pegoretti biuld the Pinarellos for Indurain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
We figured that because of the TT bike that he was riding. Gitane actually featured the same TT bikes in their catalogue from the year prior, but they weren't made by Gitane....had to be Cyfac.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Troy71
sandranian wrote:
We figured that because of the TT bike that he was riding. Gitane actually featured the same TT bikes in their catalogue from the year prior, but they weren't made by Gitane....had to be Cyfac.

i would´t wonder. its not new that pro´s rode special frames from framebuilders and sprayed in teamcolors. William Fotheringham wrote in Simpsons bio " put me back on my bike" that the peugeot px bikes from simpson was build by Masi for him.
Look Bernard Hinault model bike on eBay 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Gitane Racing