gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1970-1974 Gitane specs Goto page 1, 2  Next
1970-1974 Gitane specs 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:28 am Reply with quote
dan lenik
Hi, are the Gitane specs in the catalog set in stone? Is it possible that either Gitane or their dealers used different parts than these? My Hosteler has dia-compe brake levers and suntour derailleurs and a Gran sport that I bought for parts had Pelissier hubs. While I'm at it, are Pelissier hubs considered special? Thanks!
Re: 1970-1974 Gitane specs- Editorial response 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
dan lenik wrote:
Hi, are the Gitane specs in the catalog set in stone? Is it possible that either Gitane or their dealers used different parts than these?

What specs? Laughing

During the Bike Boom in the US in the early 70s there was also a small Bike Boom going on in France and to a lesser degree in the UK.

The demand for some types of bicycle components increased tenfold. Most of the European component manufacturers were working with old outdated equipment. The sacrosanct houses of Campy and Cinelli were not much more than blacksmith shops in those days. Same for most of the other manufacturers.

Prior to the Bike Boom, most bikes sold in the US were considered "kids toys". In Europe, while there was a long tradition of sport cycling, most of the bikes made were built for cheap transportation (read real cheap transportation - for those who couldn't afford a moped, motor scooter, motorcycle or car).

Suddenly there was a demand for sporty "10 speed racing bikes" with features like drop bars and quick release hubs (transportation bikes had "nutted" hubs - there was no need for QRs).

In that climate, bike manufacturers used any components they could get. They were selling bikes as fast as they could box them up and push them out the door (many showed it too). Crying or Very sad

dan lenik wrote:
My Hosteler has dia-compe brake levers and suntour derailleurs and a Gran sport that I bought for parts had Pelissier hubs. While I'm at it, are Pelissier hubs considered special? Thanks!

Of all of the major European bike manufactures (Motobecane, Peugeot, Bianchi, Raleigh, Gitane and so on) Peugeot was the most consistent in supplying bikes to catalog specs followed by Motobecane.

I assembled hundreds of bikes in those days. The demend was so high in the early 70s that we couldn't put them together fast enough. It usually took about an hour to assemble most of the European bikes (to get them safely ridable).

Here's an example of some of the components that early 70s Gitane Grand Sport and Grand Sport Deluxe bikes came with:

Derailleurs - Simplex Prestige or Huret Allvit but by 1973 some bikes were coming with Suntour derailleurs. The French actually thought highly of the Allvit derailleurs! Rolling Eyes

Brakes - Mafac Racer or Weinmann Vainqueur Centerpulls. We got in one shipment with Weinmann Symetric sidepull/centerpull hybrids. A few bikes, mostly mixtes, even came with Weinmann 500 sidepulls. Around 1973 some bikes started showing up with Dia-Compe made Weinmann centerpull clones.

Your bike may have come with Dia-compe levers because they had a patent on "safety levers". These were more correctly called "SUICIDE LEVERS" as they were anything but safe especially when they loosened up as they all did! Shocked Surprised

Later Weinmann bought the rights to use those unsafe contraptions but ironically most of them were made by Dia-compe and installed on the Weinmann levers.

Hubs - Normandy high flange quick release or occasionally Pelissier high flange QR hubs. A few bikes came with Normandy or Pelissier non QR nutted hubs. Occasionally we would get in a bike with Atom nutted low flange hubs.

Stems - Most Gitanes came with Pivo cast aluminum "death stems". See link below and scroll down to my message about stems:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=836&highlight=death+stem

Tires - Usually Hutchison or the better Michelin Chevron 27" x 1 1/4" clinchers with Schrader valve tubes.

Rims - Rigida or any number of other chrome plated steel rims. Don't even try to stop with these rims when they're wet. The indentations in the braking surface hold water for lubrication to help you go faster when you about to run into something! Twisted Evil

Saddles/Seat - Maybe 10 different varieties of round topped torture devices guaranteed to inflict discomfort to your personal regions. Confused

"Now isn't that special"... Laughing

Chas. the Joker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Just on the topic of specs........ or lack thereof......... I stumbled across this site: http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/my_bianchi/index.html
This is a collection of b.........i's (don't shoot me yet Sandman) More to the point, he has photographed a sort of history of Simplex rear derailleurs. Might be good to try to figure what year model derailleur you have (not that it is much of an indication of the year of make of your gitane...). http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/my_bianchi/story%20of%20Simplex.htm

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
dan lenik
Thanks for the replies! By specs, I was referring to the back page of the 1970-1974 catalog. It almost seems that restoration is "in the eye of the beholder" much like many VW beetle restorations I have seen. Hosteler is done at the paint shop, Pictures in about a week! Sincerely, Dan
Hosteler 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Dan,

The Hosteler (and similar Gitane models that weren't imported into the US) were designed for randonneuring and bike touring thus the triple cranks, fenders, racks and lighting.

This type of riding was popular in Europe but hadn't gained interest in the US until the mid 70s when events like Bikecentennial '76 came along.

I only recall seeing one or two Hostelers and the same with the Campy equipped Gran Tourisme model. Fenders, racks and lights didn't fit the image of a "10 speed racing bike" that was the craze during the Bike Boom.

In the 1970s "customizing" was still big in the US. People customized their cars and motorcycles so it was only natural to customize your bike. The seat was usually the first thing to get changed.

It's pretty easy to restore your bike to the catalog specs.

Some shop could have switched to the Dia-compe brake levers because they have a shorter reach than the Mafac levers. The Mafac levers are always listed on eBay but the rubber 1/2 hoods are getting expensive and hard to find.

Pelissier hubs were not considered as good as Normandy hubs and getting replacement parts might be difficult. They came on maybe 5-10% of the Gitanes. By now they're probably pretty rare and worth keeping.

The sardonic comments in my previous message about bike specs was a response to those collectors who are looking to restore the perfect bike, car or whatever to catalog specs. Except for "All Campy" there were no standards for specs in those days.

I doubt that back in the day anyone ever thought that Bike Boom era bikes would last more than a few years after the fad played out. Here we are 35-40 years later still enjoying them.

I'm casually involved with a number of other classic bike groups.

One of the things that I like about this Forum is the lack of perfectionist attitudes that are present in some of those groups ( except for the Delta aficionados Wink ). After all, Gitanes were "Blue Collar" bikes for the common man! The French built bikes to ride not look at!

Chas. Liberté, égalité, fraternité Very Happy
Re: Hosteler 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
verktyg wrote:
Dan,
I'm casually involved with a number of other classic bike groups.

Just as lond as you remember that you're "MARRIED" to this particular bike group......... Confused (stands with arms crossed, repetitively tapping foot)

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel
Re: Hosteler 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Paul Wiseman wrote:
Just as lond as you remember that you're "MARRIED" to this particular bike group......... Confused (stands with arms crossed, repetitively tapping foot)

I'm speechless! Shocked

I'll love you forever and the check is in the mail....

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
dan lenik
I heard a guy in the Middle east divorced his wife by email! I wish mine was so easy!
Divorce 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I Divorce You!
I Divorce You!
I Divorce You!

So lond Wisey, now pack your bags! Evil or Very Mad

Chas.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
You kick me out and I will sue you for all your gitanes!!!!! Mad

I even know a good lawyer Wink

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel
Good Lawyer 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Paul Wiseman wrote:

I'll hold my tongue on that remark...

Chas.
Re: Good Lawyer 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:37 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
verktyg wrote:
Paul Wiseman wrote:

I'll hold my tongue on that remark...

Chas.

The catch is, the lawyer is a gitane nutter too, so he'll probably charge me all your gitanes for his services......... Rolling Eyes

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Paul Wiseman wrote:
The catch is, the lawyer is a gitane nutter too, so he'll probably charge me all your gitanes for his services......... Rolling Eyes

"Take my wife—please"

Chas.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
verktyg wrote:
"Take my wife—please" Chas.

You're a bad man Twisted Evil
Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Professionnel
specs and an Interclub 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:50 am Reply with quote
dan lenik
Received the Interclub that was an accidental ebay purchase! Nothing to write home to Mother about, but I thought I would share it with you (wise) guys! It doesn't have sew ups or rigida wheels but instead has gnutti hubs and samir saminox steel hoops. The cranks and bottom bracket are sugino maxy. And the gold paint isnt the orange on the chart. Everything else looks right.
1970-1974 Gitane specs 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane