gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane Criterium
Gitane Criterium 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
brotopher
Just curious, i'm about to purchase a Gitane Criterium - from around 1984ish (Vitus tubes) and i'm wondering if anyone has any information or pictures about this particular model? I've looked online and haven't found much, but it seems like a decent bike and for the price i'm getting it for i'll be very happy (first road bike in a long time).

Any info or pics would be cool! Thanks, Chris
80s Criterium 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Chris,

Greetings, an 80s Gitane Criterium should be a great bike. Here's some links to the catalog section of the site:

1983:
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1983_pg3.jpg

1984:
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1984/Page_04.jpg

The Criterium was Gitane's affordable high performance bike with a good frame and nice components. The 1983 Criterium was 3rd from the top model and in 84, 4th from the top.

There's a gap in the catalogs from the late 70s through 1982 so can't add anything if it's from one of those years.

I have several similar models and the ride and handling on them is great.

Please post some pics.

Chas.
Thanks 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
brotopher
Chas, thanks for the links. I'm really excited to get and ride this model. I'm purchasing from the original owner and he states the the bike is in great condition and has good components with some Campagnolo upgrades. I was looking for something mid range, but it seems this is a definite upgrade! I've owned 3 Gitanes (still have one) and this will be my first road bike in a long time. I will post pics for sure week when i get the bike next week. Do you happen to know if Vitus is steel, or aluminum? I've read conflicting threads and i'm just curious. I wonder why they painted this model a flat blue instead of that beautiful metallic blue on their older frames.

I'm a big Gitane fan!

Thanks Chas,

Chris
Vitus Tubing 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Chris,

Various flavors of Vitus steel bike tubing was produced by the small French company Ateliers de la Rive from 1931 until about 2000.

They also made a number of different models of aluminum frames from the late 70's until 8-10 years ago.

Your bike is most likely a steel frame which is great! It will far outlast most aluminum frames plus it will ride better than most of them too!

Chas.
Gitane Criterium 1984 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
brotopher
Chas, Thanks for the information! Sorry for the delay with the pics, but i wanted to wait until i got my current set up.

The bike rides great - very smooth and pretty light too. I really like the internal housing for the brake cable, cool integration. I wish the frame was the next size up - a hair smaller than what i like, but is fine. If you happen to know anyone looking to trade the same model (frame only), but in a 57, or 58cm i would be excited.

The more i read about Gitane bikes the bigger fan i become. My next project is restoring an 83 Sprint. I added a post earlier tonight looking for its decal references, stuff is hard to find.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Beautiful bike - what's the component details?

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Gitane Criterium 84 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
brotopher
56cm Criterium. Stronglight B3 crankset 52/42. Cinelli Criterium bars and road stem. Shimano 600 brakes and levers. Brooks Professional saddle. Kalin seatpost (stripped and hand painted yellow). Campagnolo Omega clincher wheelset. Campagnolo peddles.

A super fun bike!
Gitane Criterium 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane