gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Pro Racing - Classics/Giro/Tour.... » Landis Racing for Bahati Foundation
Landis Racing for Bahati Foundation 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Word is that Floyd Landis will be riding for the Bahati Foundation team. I am a fan of Rahsaan Bahati. I have had the privilege of meeting him and speaking with him on several different occasions. I am a bit perplexed at the signing of Landis for his team, though, and wondered how the rest of you felt about it.

For those of you who don't know, Rahsaan Bahati is a pro racer from Southern California who raced with Rock racing recently and was a US Criterium Champion. He has started a foundation to help with inner-city youth (he grew up in Compton) to provide access to bicycle racing for them. Bahati grew up in Compton and used bicycle racing as a way out...and a way to keep himself out of trouble. He explains it much better on his website:
www.bahatifoundation.org.

The mission statement for the foundation is as follows:
"The Bahati Foundation supports youth in inner-city and underserved communities. Through grants, scholarships and cycling outreach programs the Foundation empowers youth and provides funding to schools."

Bahati is a positive role model and his foundation uses his story to inspire inner city kids to better themselves and stay out of trouble. The question is, what image does Floyd Landis have? Does he add...or detract from that positive image?

Landis is a "convicted" drug cheat. Whether you agree or not, he had his day in "court", appealed the ruling, and lost. He was stripped of his Tour de France title. Again, whether you agree or not isn't the point. Those are the facts.

Landis has also served his suspension. Clearly, he should be allowed to race. But that isn't the point here. Landis has always insisted on his innocence. He has never made any admission (ala Millar) and maintains that he was a victim of a broken or oppressive system. Is that the type of story the Bahati Foundation wants to be telling underprivileged kids in the inner city?

The inclusion of Landis definitely raises the teams profile. But I wonder what all of you think about his inclusion on a "mission-based" team.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
nicolas
Well, based on your description of this foudation's goal I'd say it's inappropriate. From my experience, young people under priviledged or living in ghettos have to show a lot of strenght and maturity not give into the "victim syndrome" and yet, that's often the only way they can improve their situation...

So having an icon of victimisation on board cannot be a genuinely good thing, IMHO.

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
nicolas wrote:
Well, based on your description of this foudation's goal I'd say it's inappropriate. From my experience, young people under priviledged or living in ghettos have to show a lot of strenght and maturity not give into the "victim syndrome" and yet, that's often the only way they can improve their situation...

So having an icon of victimisation on board cannot be a genuinely good thing, IMHO.

I think that Floyd Landis got "JOBBED" but I agree completely with both of you about his presence in this kind of organization!

Lance overcoming cancer would be a better role model!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
nicolas
verktyg wrote:

Lance overcoming cancer would be a better role model!

Sad but true...

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The Tour of California named the 16 teams invited to participate this year...and Bahati's team was not one of them. I think they did this as a snub to Landis...not because of Bahati.

Here is the list:

Pro Tour Teams:
Team RadioShack
HTC-Columbia
Quick Step
Saxo Bank
Garmin-Transitions
Rabobank
Liquigas-Doimo

Euro Continental:
Cervelo TestTeam
BMC Racing

US Continental:
Bissell Pro Cycling
UnitedHealthcare p/b Maxxis
Jelly Belly p/b Kenda
SpiderTech p/b Planet Energy
Fly V Australia
Team Type 1
Kelly Benefit Strategies

Landis Racing for Bahati Foundation 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Pro Racing - Classics/Giro/Tour....