gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane » Gitane 2010 Range Preview Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Ugh.... Sad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
That's what you get for riding a Raleigh.......... Wink

Delta Dreamin'
Podium crew lookin glum??? 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Why is everyone standing around the podium looking so glum except the "suit" in the back who's smilling?

"I thought the fix was in... Fignon 1st and Lemond 2nd..." Wink

Charles le Magne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
He's a famous French fortune teller. He just whispered in each of their ears:

To Fignon: He's going to make you look like a monkey and beat you at the Worlds too.

To Delgado: In just a few years, your domestique is going to make you look like a monkey.

To LeMond: Live it up sunshine boy. You might be hot now but pretty soon there will be a new US pin up boy and he will make you all look like monkeys.

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
nicolas
Back on topic...although it's hard to believe I've missed this 1989 TDF discussion (not so hard, actually : this is what happens when us, lazy french lads or...pro riders, take a 4 weeks long vacation...anyhoo).

Last week end, i went to the Paris "Salon du Cycle" and headed for the Velo & Oxygen / Bianchi / Gitane booth.

I especially liked that vintage fixie, of course ! But for 699€ (aluminium frame) I'm not gonna jump all over it.

I talked to one of the guys at the booth and he said they have high hopes for Gitane for the future. They're planning on getting back to supplying a pro team for 2011. Apparently they were targetting team BBox for 2010 but the deal failed (maybe when the team failed to get the pro-tour license ?). They're counting on their new carbon ("the one") to get the trick.

Other than that, he talked at great lenght of the way they "saved" the Gitane brand when it was about to be dumped in the toilet. I suppose having a big "definitive" sticker over the Gitane logo is kind of statement, right ?

Also, funny fact : the guys thought gitaneusa.com was a local US distributor for Gitane bikes. Which makes all previous statements very doubtful, to say the least.

But...for those interested, I got 3 brand new 2010 Gitane catalogues. That leaves 2 available, given that Stephan is on the VIP list.

For the record...if anyone wants to discuss the 1989 TDF, I'm more than ready to jump in !

Cheers,

Nicolas.

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
I wan't the "city link" decals on the red bike!!!!!!! Shocked

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Nicolas: Thanks for the preview! Gitane told me they would have the new stuff online by September. It is still not up! I am excited about getting a new frameset next year. However, I have just been told that myself and some friends may have a sponsorship for the next season which will include frames....

The retro gitane decals look great. I am a bit disappointed that the high-end stuff still says "Definitive" in bigger letters than "Gitane". Does the brand not have a very good name in France? Is that why they chose something besides "Gitane" to name their high end machines?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Thanks for the update Nicolas. I hope they bring back the famous blue as a flagship colour choice. That would really set them apart.

Stephan, all the best with sponsorship next year and those frames...!!

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:43 am Reply with quote
xtsquintx
Wow, that vintage City Link would be perfect if it weren't a fixed gear. I will pursue this anyway, I've really been wanting to a new bike but don't like any modern designs, so this one really fits the bill.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Is it just me...or do the decals used for the integrated seatpost version of the carbon frame not make any sense whatsoever? If you have to trim the post, which you most likely would have to, wouldn't you be cutting into the decal/logo? Isn't that a BIG mistake on their part???

Also, the derailleur cables appear to enter the head tube at a 90 degree angle. I wonder if this doesn't present some issues, as they immediately have to bend to go travel the downtube, adding another "kink" along the line.

I am anxious to see the catalogue and hopefully get one of these machines, but I am wondering if the "seat posted" version wouldn't be better....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn

S.A.,
I definitely agree with those observations and have similar concerns. Interestingly, I was talking to one of my shop friends about that exact problem; i.e. cosmetic concerns if the top of the seat tube would need to be trimmed. He stated that "you would need to get the correct size". Easy for him to say. Besides, to be candid, I do not want my seat to be quite as high as I once did. Maybe that's age talking!

I was scrutinizing the last picture sent by Nicolas from Paris, (again, Merci Nicolas!); that is the black model with the curved top tube and seat stays. It appears to be a new model, as I did not see it in the 2009 catalogue. It looks great and would seem to be a great choice with a high end Campagnolo group! I would still be inclined to first check the 2010 catalogue when available, but as of now, 80% chance, that would be my choice; Campag. group to be added stateside.
Bienvenue,
Peter H.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Searched high and low on the internet for more pictures of the 2010 Gitane...and here is what I found:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/axelmoron/3974626427/in/set-72157622378025067

You can "download" a bigger picture of the bike. The decal on the seat mast doesn't make any sense, but perhaps it was just done for the show, and won't appear on the production models. I would really hope so, because it HAS to be cut...you can't buy the exact size...it would be nearly impossible. Otherwise, it is a stunning bike!

Here is some more. Front end isn't too attractive...but maybe it will grow on me:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Wisey
Oh my goodness (please note my act of self censorship) that front end is terrible. I reckon that Chas and I could design something that looks better than that armed with nothing more than a napkin and a red crayon, sitting in a greasy diner trying to sober up after a night of drinking heroic amounts of red wine and telling stories about girls and gitanes all night. Wink

BTW, I don't like it. Besides looking like an after-thought for a budget sci-fi flick, the points made regarding cable routing are all correct. The rear brake cable is also all wrong. There is a reason that they have the firat fixwd point a few inches along the TT. It works best that way. 100 years of trial & error prove it. Idiots! Evil or Very Mad

The only thing that I can say in favour of this bike is that they have given us adjustable gear cable stops which is becoming rare. Good move.

Oh, the red one does look s**t hot. I have some doubts about the functionality though.

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Wisey wrote:
... that front end is terrible. I reckon that Chas and I could design something that looks better than that armed with nothing more than a napkin and a red crayon, sitting in a greasy diner trying to sober up after a night of drinking heroic amounts of red wine and telling stories about girls and gitanes all night. Wink

The Big Wheel comes of age.... Confused

Ned would be proud of me (Ned Ludd that is) Laughing

Chas.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:55 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Hmmmm. I am surprised to hear an Aussie speaking like a European: "It is that way because it has always been done that way." If you can explain why it is better for the first fixed point of the rear brake cable to be a few inches behind the head tube, I will buy you a beer. The only reason I can figure is so that when the bike is being stored in your garage, it will be easier for the bars to "flop" to one side. While being used...there is no reason for the extra room to move the bars (maybe while crashing?). I think that the design was borrowed from the new TT bikes, where the cables are under far more "pressure" from bends and the like. Looking at my current bike, I can see that it might have to be wrapped a bit differently. Certainly the end points for the derailleur cables could have been on the top tube, so why not the brake cable? The brake cable does not appear to be under any stress....

Again, regarding the appearance, maybe it will grow on me? "Perhaps I can learn to love her?" "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life...." I like sci-fi films as well. The napkin and wine story sounds like fun. That may have to be done at some point in the near future!

PS: It is actually raining here for the first time in a long time. I am actually going to have to stay home (from my ride) on account of the weather! What is the world coming to....

Gitane 2010 Range Preview 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Modern Gitane