gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Pro Team components 79-82
Pro Team components 79-82 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:03 am Reply with quote
coco68
Hi all, new poster here.
I'm trying to work out which components the pro team used during the years c. 79-82. Looks like a real mixture of everything!
For example, I've seen the Aero TT as ridden by Hinault in time trials over this period with full Super Record, full Shimano and the one from this site, pictured below, which looks like a Cinelli 1R stem, Campy front drailleur and Stronglight?? cranks. Also looks like Campy headset and brakes but can't really tell - so maybe full campagnolo on this one?
Was the marque affiliated with any particular brand or did the team mechanics just pick what they thought was best for the job at any particular moment?
Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
That is an excellent question and a better observation.

The short answer is yes and no.

Parts manufacturers have signed exclusive deals with teams before, and have been listed even as named sponsors (i.e. Gitane/Campagnolo from the mid 1970's). However, they have also been parts suppliers who do only that...supply some parts. In the early 1980s, Gitane switched from Campagnolo to Simplex. In 1981/1982, Renault-Elf was sponsored in part by Campagnolo. However, for 1982, Campagnolo was dropped as a sponsor. I know that in 1983 Gitane's pro team was outfitted with Simplex and Modolo. Then, in 1984, they switched to Campagnolo.

The image you have posted is, I believe, from 1982 There may have been some "flux" changeover, because it certainly appears that there is a mix of components on that bike. Also, recognize that the aero "TT" bicycle was invented by Gitane, and it might have been that certain parts didn't work with one another. Or perhaps the Campagnolo crankset didn't have the 55 tooth cog that was required for this TT, so they opted with the Stronglight?

A very good question that perhaps some others have some insight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
poufthecascadeur
to my mind (but i'm not sure) gitane team switch to simpplex and modolo in 1983 after the fall of Fignon

after he broke his campy'axis...
wrigth or wrong?

gitane sprint,nation,interclub,s.olympic,renault loisir,(bianchi record 748,legnano olympic record,follis,wolhauser,meral,peugeot px10,ps10,prn10,phr50,uo8,mercier 300,mercier service course,urago nervex&competition,motoconfort super champion)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn

Stephan's remarks (re the TT bike) seem quite plausible, here. In regards to the Gitane squad's abrupt switch from Campagnolo to Stronglight, Simplex, Modolo,etc., that latter story is the one that I heard, as well. Fignon fell after an experimental titanium Campagnolo spindle broke during the 1982 Blois-Chaville race. However, in true hardman tradition, Fignon remounted and finished the race. However, the Team, as previously mentioned, switched to Columbus SL frames ((for some reason (related or not)) and the aforementioned components. However, on the production side, I also heard (such also being somewhat speculative) that the French cycle industry, concerned about encroachment by Japanese and Italian companies, started to re-emphasize French components, including the designing of the new Speidel group.
Bienvenue,
Peter H.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
coco68
Hi, thanks for replies. Interesting about the switch after Fignon incident.

On a separate note, has anyone ever tried to contact the current Gitane company? I have three times, mostly with regard to older bikes and sourcing period decals. Have written in french and english but without reply. It's a pity, especially given the interest on this site and elsewhere, that they appear to have little regard for their history.

Companies like Colnago on the other hand are always quick and courteous in their replies and even have a dedicated history section on their site - I think that they understand that respecting their history is key to safeguarding their future. Gitane appear to be overlooking a tremendous asset.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:14 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I am in contact with Gitane (Cycleurope). Historical issues are being addressed...and that is all I can say about that right now.

Regarding their lack of response, it might be a French thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
lofter
sandranian wrote:
I am in contact with Gitane (Cycleurope). Historical issues are being addressed...and that is all I can say about that right now.

Regarding their lack of response, it might be a French thing.

i doubt its even that stephan , i just think history, more than likely just got buried , with all the other companies and the dam italian frames. and probably the younger generation took over at various jobs within cycleurope.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Patience, young Skywalker.

Pro Team components 79-82 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane