gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Year of my TdF?
Year of my TdF? 
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:13 am Reply with quote
Kirk
Is it possible to identify the year of manufacture of my much-modified TdF? All I know is that it's pre '74 based on the foil decals.

Identifying your bike 
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Note for all potential inquiries:

The important things to show when asking for information about any bike is closeup pictures of the lugs, fork crown, seat cluster, bottom bracket and dropouts - not all the pretty changes made to the bike.

The Stronglight model 93 cranks and Mafac Racer brakes appear to be the only original components.

If those parts are original, the Bocama lugs and Nervex Dubois fork crown would place it around late 1971 to early 1973.

Hope this helps - I'm in a foul mood! I was just getting ready to go for a ride and it started raining! Mad

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
Kirk
It just started raining on me while I was photographing my just-finished '74 Raleigh Competition. I had to put a plastic bag on the Brooks.

It does not have Have Mafac Racers, they're Competitions. They were on it when I got it, but that doesn't mean they're original to the bike.

Yes, Bocama lugs and Nervex Dubois fork crown. It has no brazed on brake bridge. The dropouts are Simplex, but the fork ends are Campy.
Nice bike 
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I couldn't tell from the "beautiful pictures" whether they were Racers or Competitions. Laughing

The reach looked a little long so I assumed they were Racers. Gitane started using Competition brakes on TdFs and Super Corsas probably around late 1971 so that would put it in the correct time frame.

TdFs came with Simplex, Huret and occasionally Campy forkends. Super Corsas came with Campy or Huret forkends but I bet you will find some with Simplex forkends too! Shocked

During the Bike Boom from 1970 until 1974 bike manufactures used whatever they could get! Raleigh even used a lot of Zeus dropouts on their mid range and better quality bikes in those days.

We were going to do a a bike trail/off road ride today from Montera/Moss beach area around half Moon Bay and back... Then it started pouring! Crying or Very sad

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica