gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Superchampion Competition Rims Red Label
Superchampion Competition Rims Red Label 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Hi quick question, I have a set of Super Champion Competition Rims on some very nice hubs and want to try them out on one of my Gitanes.

I notice that the rim section is quite round and was worried about brake surface. These might be track rims?

I had a Peugeot with Super Champion rims and seem to remember also a rather round section in the braking area surface. I believe that the pads will eventually shape themselves but anyone with experience on this subject.

Thanks, Dan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote
scozim
Do you have photos of the rims? I have some that I picked up (unfortunately one of the labels has lost it's lettering) and don't have any hubs for them. Once I get them laced up I'd like to put them on my Gitane.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Super Champion Rims 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Dan,

Super Champion "Competition" stickers were used for many years. They indicate the brand not the model.

Here's a link to pictures of Super Champion rims on velobase.com:

http://tinyurl.com/25atggw

Rounded tubular rims sound like they are made for track use only. Road rims have flat surfaces for the brakes. Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Here are what mine look like. Sorry the photos aren't the best but they're hanging up with all the other wheelsets (I was gifted 5 sets this summer) and it was a hassle to try and take them down. You can see how crappy the one label is but the other is in really good shape.

What I noticed what the braking surface on the rim appears to have little holes in it. Could this be from use and they're getting worn out?

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
scozim wrote:
What I noticed what the braking surface on the rim appears to have little holes in it. Could this be from use and they're getting worn out?

Back in the 70s and maybe earlier, many rims came with serrations in the braking area.

The serrations were probably intended to increase friction under dry braking conditions. Under wet conditions the indentations trapped water which acted as a lubricant. Shocked

That's the main reason why chrome plated steel rims with indentations stop so poorly when wet! Embarassed

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Bride of Frankenbike 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Thanks for all of the help on the Super Champion rims. These must be track rims. (I didn't know that there were different rims for track) The hubs are from a track bike and everything came from a bike which many of you probably saw on E bay last week. I bought my first throw-together bike. The guy who sold it to me was nice enough but clearly
put everything together to sell. He lives 15 minutes from me so no shipping charge. No real problems since the frame is straight and actually very nicely repainted with a "Gitane" logo airbrushed under the clear coat. No filler and no funnies under the paint from repairs. It is a Tdf or Olympic Reynolds frame with Huret drop outs and short point Bacoma lugs (I believe). The fixed cup on the bb was loose and after pulling the cranks found a ball bearing missing on purpose since he probably lost one! But, the races are fine as is the axle. The pedals are very nice and the wheelset and hubs are perfect. The only real problem is that the seller did a very stupid job of putting a campy headset on the front end which is clearly cut for a stronglight headset. So, he simply left off the lock nut since there was no space left and just sort of tightened everything up! I measured and a stronglight headset will fit perfectly (when I find one).

The bike will be for riding in Paris and will not be a fixie as it is now set up
with the track hub. I will probably change the wheels or just add a one speed freewheel and keep it one speed. I have some old brakes and wheels and thats it.

Probably a stupid buy but a nice little project to keep a very nice frame on the road.

Thanks, Dan

Road vs. Track Rims 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Dan,

Those look like track rims.

Notice the square shoulder on these road version Super Champion Record du Monde rims:

There are some brake marks on one of your rims. They could be used with brakes but these are very light weight rims and it would take a while for the brake pads to wear so that they fit the rounded rims.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica