gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Help with id on 87 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Help with id on 87 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
toytech
Maybe a inter, not sure has 531p decal on frame and 531c on fork, Wolber Super Champions, unknown Campy group besides the rear derailleur.
Any ID help appreciated, I took this in trade (with cash on their side) for my Super Corsa. This one is the first bike I have found in a while that is my size. I always find deals on big and small>

Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
trois tubes
That's exactly what you have with campy Victory group - nice find.

Looks like a little superficial cleaning is all you need to do. I would re-pack the BB and HS with fresh grease and spray some frame saver while you have the fork and seat post out. A new set of cables would probably be in order as well.

Let me know if you need an 80's vintage white saddle to put on it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
I believe your correct also. Possibly a mix-up with the frame tubing decal. Possibly some later part swaps with the Super Champion rims and a replacement rear derailleur for the original campy Victory, but looks like it fits the Inter label. I like my early '70s Gitanes---but my '87 Victoire has become my favorite ride during the last year. I would think this frameset will be quite comfortable & responsive.

Should be a great refurbish project, and will be waiting to see pictures as you progress.

I Like Steel !!!!

C.A.
Salina, Ks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
lofter
i have one just like it except it has a 531c sticker on it and mine has the edco group on it . nice bike u have ther Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
toytech
Thanks for all the help, it is just an overhaul and seat post away from riding Very Happy I will clean and polish as needed, treat the rust and enjoy. I could use a line on a Victory rear derailleur and a matching post though.
Re: Help with id on 87 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
toytech wrote:
Maybe a inter, not sure has 531p decal on frame and 531c on fork...

Sort of a head scratcher? Confused

I've seen a number of bikes made of Reynolds 531p (Professional) tubing with black, gold and red frame decals that also had plain Reynolds 531 black, gold and green fork decals (most of them were late 80s high end Peugeots).

I think the reason was that the 531p and 531c used the same fork blades.

Reynolds 531p Professional had the same wall thickness as Reynolds 753R tubes but about a 1/3 less strength.

Except for the forks, Reynolds 531c tube sets had slightly thicker walls and weighed about 100 gm more.

Reynolds was extremely tight fisted with their decals, especially so for their premium 531c, 531p and 753 tubing. The concern was that unscrupulous people might use those decals on lesser quality bikes.

I think that the decals are the real thing as the down tube decal has the appearance of being clear coated over. This is a top of the line model frame with mid range Campy Victory components.

BTW, the Campy Victory gruppo was intended to replace the Nuovo Record series and the C Record series, the Supper Record gruppo. Many people who bought Campy bikes were extremely "traditional" and the Victory stuff never caught while Nuovo Record components were still being used into the late 80s.

Now, what model is it? It certainly resembles the Inter model in the 1987 catalog, but... It has the lighter blue color of the Performance model and more importantly the race number tag under the top tube.

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1987_pg3.jpg

I wonder if it could be a late 1986 Professional model with Reynolds 531p tubing and 1987 decals like on the R.S. or Inter? That model is shown in the lighter blue color plus had a Victory gruppo.

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1986/1986French2.jpg

The brake cable goes into the top of the top tube rather than under it like on the 1987 Team Pro which uses 531p tubing?

Anyway, typical Gitane mystery bike... Wink

It should be a really great riding bike. Cool

Oh and C.A. I agree with you, I like the ride and handling of my 1980s Gitanes better than my ones from the 70s.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Victory Seatpost and RD 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
toytech wrote:
Thanks for all the help, it is just an overhaul and seat post away from riding Very Happy I will clean and polish as needed, treat the rust and enjoy. I could use a line on a Victory rear derailleur and a matching post though.

The stem is sitting mighty high. It should be inserted at least 2 1/2" to 3" into the steering tube.

Victory seatpost for what ever reason are pretty scarce. I may be persuaded to part with a Victory RD though.

Bring by and I'll give the frame the old "ping" test to check out the tubing thickness. Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Edco Gruppo 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
lofter wrote:
i have one just like it except it has a 531c sticker on it and mine has the edco group on it . nice bike u have there Wink

WOW! I've never seen a Gitane with an Edco gruppo. I didn't even know that they existed until I saw it in the 1987 price list. Cool

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
lofter
its my everyday rider chas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:35 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I have the same frameset. Appears that GitaneUSA did some oddball things with frames back in the day (*note, the decals are not original with this frameset, it came with the same white ones you have...but the tubing decals are original).

http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560

By the way, the 1987 Team Pro came with the same green fork sticker (not a red one):

http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=557

The differences are:
(1) routing of the rear brake cable;
(2) Vitus (vs. Campy) dropouts; and
(3) Chrome (vs. painted) fork.

Otherwise, they are identical.

Re: Victory Seatpost and RD 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:49 am Reply with quote
toytech
verktyg wrote:
toytech wrote:

The stem is sitting mighty high. It should be inserted at least 2 1/2" to 3" into the steering tube.

Victory seatpost for what ever reason are pretty scarce. I may be persuaded to part with a Victory RD though.

Bring by and I'll give the frame the old "ping" test to check out the tubing thickness. Wink

I will be making all adjustments as needed, I did notice that too. I possibly might swap a set of Cinelli bars and stem with Record aero levers that I have, my mind is not made up on that yet. Also I have a little older Record hubs set and some Nisi Rims waiting for a set of spokes. I would definitely be interested in that RD, and I see you are in the Bay area as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Nice bike!

If Chas can't supply the Victory RD, I have one, but I don't remember if I robbed it of its pulleys. I tried them on my NR RD, but I think I ended up using Suntour pulleys which were black like the originals, while the Victory pulleys are grey.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
trois tubes
Victory pulleys are WHITE not grey. At least before the first ride!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Sorry trois. I just went out to the shed, and in the right light they do look pretty white. I'll sacrifice a Shimano derailleur on my altar, and bow three times toward Vincenza for penance.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
vanhelmont wrote:
...I'll sacrifice a Shimano derailleur on my altar, and bow three times toward Vincenza for penance. Dave

Laughing

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional