gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Everything for SALE!!!! Goto page 1, 2  Next
Everything for SALE!!!! 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
All my gitanes up for sale. American buyers only please. Wink

Not that I really want to sell anything, but when the Aussie Dollar goes past the US$ for the first time in history........

No takers? really?........... I wonder why not?

I hope everyone is surviving this hard time over there. I fear there are some tough decisions to be made by your exec.

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
lofter
Shocked ill take the 7-eleven machine Cool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
lofter
its tough man and its not going to get better soon.it took along time to get this way and a long time to get out of the hole. i am happy to have the job i have at the college. my wife has 30 yrs in with at&t next month . she wants to retire but she likes the money.im freakin tight right now .my car is paid off in december right before xmas so things will get a little better in december.
Why I bought a bunch of bikes! 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I had some intercourse with a local bank today...

in-ter-course (în´ter-kôrs´, -kors´) noun
Dealings or communications between persons or groups.

Seems I had a small amount of funds in several dormant checking and savings accounts. By state law they would have to remit the balances to the state of California if I didn't do something with the money! Shocked Mad Evil or Very Mad

I temporarily fixed the problem by transferring some funds from one account to the other. Next week I'll close out the accounts.

I asked what the current interest rate was on the savings account and was gleefully told .15%!

Last year I went into another bank to complain about some fees I was charged. I was told by the bank officer "They're in the fine print. Didn't you read the fine print?"

Almost in the same breath she asked me about opening a savings account at her financial instution.

Out of curiosity, I asked her the interest rate they were paying? .75%...

What about the fees? 1.0%... Confused

They wanted to charge me .25% over the interest rate to play with MY money?

Anyway, back to bikes. When I go to sell them, even if I don't break even on the bikes that I bought, I will have had the pleasure of working on them and riding them without all of the in-ter-course. Cool

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
lofter wrote:
Shocked ill take the 7-eleven machine Cool

sure. 3 million dollar Shocked ........... AU$ that is!! Laughing

Seriously, I need to have a plan for that bike because it really is a (small) piece of history. I don't have any kids, and even if I did there is only a small chance that they would have the same passion (or psychological illness) that I have for old bikes. I would hate to think that it just ends up at the tip or rusting away behind a shed somewhere. So, sometime before I die I'll have to find a home for it to go to. The problem is that all the people I know who would appreciate it for what it is are 20 - 40 years older than me!

Anyway, that has nothing to do with gitanes, so I'll shut up.

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:10 am Reply with quote
lofter
did u ever find out who's it was? i know a good home for it Wink right next to my murray serotta, they can sit next to each other and chat about old times Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Wisey,

Well, I don't have a 7 Eleven machine but I do have a couple of pairs of team rims and to get back to a Gitane connection, two of these rims are on my Gitane.

The reason for me using these rims was because they were the right spec. for the machine. They're also quite hard to find, particularly with the word Wolber in large white lettering, and because they were the only ones I could lay my hands on I made use of them.

Here's a shot of the team sticker on one of the rims:

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Wisey: EZ tiger! Once you people figure out how to do things right-way up, let me know. Also...Christmas means "cold"...i.e. "White Christmas", not sun and beaches. Just thought you'd like to know!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
lofter wrote:
did u ever find out who's it was? i know a good home for it Wink right next to my murray serotta, they can sit next to each other and chat about old times Wink

Almost. It had a new coat of paint by CyclArt as it was in poor condition and the fork had been damaged. But they were kind enough to send me some of the "before" photos that they had taken. Now I have heard all the arguments about CycleArt restorations being a little too good and all that and I won't enter that particular debate, but I would like to say that they were really helpful and went out of their way to provide me with what info they had regarding this bike. Given that I was not a paying customer, I was genuinely impressed that they took the time to do this. I would certainly recommend them on a personal level. They seem genuinely interested in this sport and their bikes.

Anyway..... The before shots show the initials that were painted on the LH chainstay. "RK" Hence the 'almost'. Was in Ron Kiefel, or Roy Knickman. They were both about 6', so no easy guess there. I sent an email to both and got a reply for Roy (which all by itself is a really cool thing), but still can't really prove who's it was. But that's still pretty damn close and I am stoked to have a bike that was raced by either of those two. Both were fantastic riders.

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
sandranian wrote:
Wisey: EZ tiger! Once you people figure out how to do things right-way up, let me know. Also...Christmas means "cold"...i.e. "White Christmas", not sun and beaches. Just thought you'd like to know!

Hmmm, I wonder if it snowed on baby Jesus as Mary & Joseph sat down to their roast turkey and baked tatos.............? Twisted Evil

For all the stick we give you Americans, at least you drink your beer cold. That counts for something!

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Wisey wrote:
...It had a new coat of paint by CyclArt as it was in poor condition and the fork had been damaged. But they were kind enough to send me some of the "before" photos that they had taken. Now I have heard all the arguments about CycleArt restorations being a little too good and all that and I won't enter that particular debate...

Tis I who has been the biggest critic of CycleArt in this Forum. They do great work but...

My 2 issues with CycleArt is that they usually put on an excessive amount of the shiniest clear coat available. The thick clear coating hides the sharp "shore lines" of hand filed lugs and other details plus it's too glitzy looking. I can spot one of their jobs from 20 feet away! Rolling Eyes

They can apply a thinner less glossy clear coat on request but some folks must like the glitzy look. Confused

The second issue is that they take a lot of "artistic license" with reproduction decals. Here's several examples:

Original Gitane head tube decal

CycleArt "repop" decals. Also compare their top tube Service Course decal with a real one below.

Original Gitane Service Course decal

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:

As in San Diego, CA? Shocked

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:18 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
I believe Stephan was referring to the "Right Coast" of the US. I was fortunate and didn't get the 2' plus that most did last year from just one snow storm.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
verktyg

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: Snow? 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
verktyg wrote:

That looks like snow flurries...

...this is SNOW. D.C. area car rental lot 2010.

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane