gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Retro Renault Jersey Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Retro Renault Jersey 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
trois tubes
For those with deep pockets...

ETA - early spring
MSRP - $200

http://www.assos.com/en/19/singleProduct.aspx?cat=6,19,58,66&prod=354
Lady Assos Models 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I like the Lady Assos models better... Wink

For not so deep pockets: Embarassed

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?referrer=RHS&ID=1839

I have one of these jerseys and I highly recommend this company.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:08 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Nice find but I would also say that's pricey.

Chas' link always offers terrific items at fair prices.

Here's one which the seller says is from the 80s, so an original top and for far less too (or less at the time of posting);

http://tinyurl.com/2eeqwm5

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
nicolas
This one is the most accurate replica I found :

http://www.cycles-marcarini.com/?mode=cat_2101&marque=28&produit=990

I have proof :

The suffering over-weight loser on the right is me, wearing the Prendas jersey and the smiling uber in shape rider on the left is my brother wearing the Marca. Now you can choose !

...and yes, this is le Ventoux, by the way (any excuse to show off)

But the Prendas team is actually the best of the best. Mr Marcarini has jis temper...

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Nicolas,

Nice shot. Looks like you've just left Chalet Reynard (great coffee!) and are on the open south aspect of the climb towards the summit while being pursued by a Dutch motorist. Well done on the climb. It really is a tough one and it looks like you had a hot day too.

Did you climb from Bedoin?

I particularly like the colour coded snow pole in the backgound against your kit.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Nicolas,

Thanks for the comparison picture but most impressive is the view of you and your brother on le Ventoux... Cool

"We're not worthy, we're not worthy" (from the Saturday Night Live TV skit Wayne's World)

When Prendas introduced the Gitane jerseys it was clear that they were not exact replicas but I think they are closer than the Assos "replicas".

I've always had problems finding jerseys that fit and are comfortable. My Prendas Gitane jersey is very well made in Columbia by a company called Safety. It's a 5XL and fits wonderfully. I have very wide shoulder and a very long torso plus a "large abdomen". Laughing

BTW, Thanks again for the Marcarini link. Now I can stop looking for an original one of these Gitane jerseys that will fit me.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
nicolas
Gtane wrote:
Nicolas,

Nice shot. Looks like you've just left Chalet Reynard (great coffee!) and are on the open south aspect of the climb towards the summit while being pursued by a Dutch motorist. Well done on the climb. It really is a tough one and it looks like you had a hot day too.

I particularly like the colour coded snow pole in the backgound against your kit.

Tim

I hadn't noticed the color pattern of the snow pole !

We climbed from Sault, which is the easiest side, something like 11km at 6% average to Chalet Reynard. Then it gets definitely tougher...

It was a very clear day but winds were crazy, it was only 10°C when we reached the top... did not enjoy the view for too long.

www.greglemondfan.com
Re: I'm impressed! 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
nicolas
verktyg wrote:
Nicolas,

Thanks for the comparison picture but most impressive is the view of you and your brother on le Ventoux... Cool

"We're not worthy, we're not worthy" (from the Saturday Night Live TV skit Wayne's World)

When Prendas introduced the Gitane jerseys it was clear that they were not exact replicas but I think they are closer than the Assos "replicas".

I've always had problems finding jerseys that fit and are comfortable. My Prendas Gitane jersey is very well made in Columbia by a company called Safety. It's a 5XL and fits wonderfully. I have very wide shoulder and a very long torso plus a "large abdomen". Laughing

BTW, Thanks again for the Marcarini link. Now I can stop looking for an original one of these Gitane jerseys that will fit me.

You'll see that, bad temper or not, Marcarini as a nice range of vintage replicas, like Molteni and... GITANE (pre-Renault) !!!!

http://www.cycles-marcarini.com/default.asp?mode=recherche

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
trois tubes
Thanks for the info Nicolas. I agree, the Marcarini version looks just like the Coq Sportif I have from 1981.

Looking good on the climb!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
nicolas
I've done my homework.

Something bothered me with the Assos jersey... I've seen it before. Now I know where.

Go to this page of that marvelous website of mine :

http://www.greglemondfan.com/1984.html

Then scroll down to the team time trial of the Tour de France ... Bingo !

The Assos replica is not the wool jersey replica, it is a perfect replica of the time trial jersey...

Ok boys, now you can buy me one... Tomorrow is St. Nicolas's day !

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
I spoke to my friend who is the distributer of Assos over here. He informed me that buyers must submit an application for permission to purchase this jersey. One of two criteria must be satisfied in order to qualify.
(1) Buyer must have an officially recorded time riding up L'Alpe d'Huez within 10% of the time set by Fignon in 1983, or,
(2) Buyer must have an officially recorded time riding the old GP des Nations course within 5% of the winning time set by Hinault in 1982.
An extra 2% will be extended to riders who use a period correct gitane for their ride.
Twisted Evil

Happy St. Nicolas's Day! Very Happy

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
nicolas
Wisey wrote:
I spoke to my friend who is the distributer of Assos over here. He informed me that buyers must submit an application for permission to purchase this jersey. One of two criteria must be satisfied in order to qualify.
(1) Buyer must have an officially recorded time riding up L'Alpe d'Huez within 10% of the time set by Fignon in 1983, or,
(2) Buyer must have an officially recorded time riding the old GP des Nations course within 5% of the winning time set by Hinault in 1982.
An extra 2% will be extended to riders who use a period correct gitane for their ride.
Twisted Evil

Happy St. Nicolas's Day! Very Happy

I don't care who the buyer is... As long as he gives it to me Laughing

Who's that friend of yours ? Le Père Fouettard ?

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
nicolas wrote:

I don't care who the buyer is... As long as he gives it to me Laughing

Who's that friend of yours ? Le Père Fouettard ?

1. Hmmmmm, the Assos marketing phrase comes to mind: "Sponsor Yourself" Laughing

2. No, Assos in Australia has a distributer over here. (and no, he really didn't say all that stuff Rolling Eyes Laughing )

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
Gtane
nicolas wrote:
Gtane wrote:
Nicolas,

Tim

I hadn't noticed the color pattern of the snow pole !

We climbed from Sault, which is the easiest side, something like 11km at 6% average to Chalet Reynard. Then it gets definitely tougher...

It was a very clear day but winds were crazy, it was only 10°C when we reached the top... did not enjoy the view for too long.

Nicolas,

The Sault route is a very nice ascent. Excellent. I must say that I've never ridden the Ventoux but have been up in a car via all three routes a number of times.

You had a decent temperature at the top. I went up from Bedoin in mid summer some years back and it was roasting right the way to the top. I just could not contemplate how the pros are able to ascend the climb in about 1 hour in those conditions. Variable temperatures from bottom to top (high to low) are definitely preferable but heck, just doing the climb at all is a fantastic achievement. The lone ascent of Eros Poli in 1994 is probably my favourite of the visits by the pros.

The TT tops on your site look like skin suits and have all the arm and neck markings of the replica. Well found. Quite a special top and the replica is very close in match. I wonder, did they ever make it for the public at the time?

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The Assos replica jerseys are not meant to be the standard team "kit" from 1984. It was a special, lycra jersey made only for Time Trials and related events. The circles on the collar and sleeve were on the original ones they used in 1984.....

Ironically enough, the picture below is of the 1984 Team Time Trial...in the Assos special kit...which appears on the Prendas website!
http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?imgID=1338

Also a picture with the Assos logo clearly showing:
http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?imgID=1391

Retro Renault Jersey 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane