gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Frame Identification
Frame Identification 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
petergross2
hi everybody
new to the forum and immediately popping the question:

what frame its this?? Rolling Eyes

i bought it off ebay, the seller had no detailed information.

i browsed this site (which is totally AWESOME, no other resource for these bikes comes even close! if there even are any...) and tried to find clues to which model it could be, but not conclusive.

details: no chrome on frame and fork, first paint, original decals, rear derailleur cable stop was clamp-on (no fitting brazed to the frame), also front derailleur was clamp-on, cable guide underneath the bottom bracket is missing, rear dropouts are stamped "super vitus". please take a look at the pics for more clues, the BB has more than one number stamped in:
"25077 8"
"2352"
and "4700", where the digits are slanted to the right

i was thinking it could be a SC, but not sure.

any information on model, approximate year and original components this model came with are greatly appreciated.

thanks

peter
vienna/austria

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
G'day , or evening as it may be approaching Peter. Welcome to the forum. Great site for Gitane owners w lots of knowledge to be shared. This frameset would likely be an early '80s '80--'83 given the appearance of the decal set. The lack of components "clouds" the possible true identification. The rear drop out design suggest that it is not just an entry level frameset, but lack of "tubing type decal" may also "cloud" the identification. The need for a "clamp on Rear derailleur cable stop" may be a clue.

I Like Steel !!!
1980-1981 Frame? 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Greetings,

The big 3 French bike makers. Gitane, Peugeot and Motobecane plus Raleigh in the UK made specific models for the countries were they were being sold: France, The UK, the Netherlands, Central Europe, the US and so on.

Sometimes it was just a model name change, other times the bikes had different components.

Compare the 1980 French catalog with the 1982 UK catalog.

Your frame has Super Vitus forged steel dropouts that indicate it's a better quality model.

As CA mentioned, there are no Super Vitus or Reynolds tubing stickers which would help in identifying the model.

The Gitane decals match the ones shown in the 1980 and 1982 catalogs but the bikes in the the 1982 UK catalog have chrome plated forks. The lighter color metallic blue paint would match the late 70s to early 80s bikes too.

My guess is that it's the equivalent of of 1980-81 French model, Tricolore, Vuelta or Sprint.

It should be a nice riding and handling bike.

BTW, the "serial numbers" have no relevance. We determined that they are probably random numbers used in the manufacturing process.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
petergross2
great information, thanks a lot. i´ll see if i can find out more myself based on what you said, especially what OE components were most likely on it.

greez

peter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
petergross2
ok, did some more investigation:

most likely, the bike is a tricolore, early 80´s, as in the french catalog of that time period.

clues are the clamp-on cable stop for the rear derailleur and the painted (not chromed) frame/fork.

OE was spidel components, stronglight cranks, mavic rims.

no idea yet about the saddle, stem, handlebar, seat post, brakes (spidel or mafac), pedals.

we´ll see, french sites and french ebay could be helpful, but the language... Rolling Eyes

thanks again
peter
Tricolore? 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Quick question, did a former owner tell you what the original equipment components were or are you trying to match the frame with the description in the 1980 French catalog?

The Tricolore had a Super Vitus 971 frame which had thinner wall thickness tubing: 0.9mm x 0.6mm versus 1.0mm x 0.7mm. It was lighter and smoother riding than the Reynolds 531 frames on the next models up (Olympic and Trophee).

The Super Vitus tubing used a 26.6mm seatpost. the Reynolds seat tube took a 26.4mm seatpost.

Spidel was a marketing organization that represented Stronglight, MAFAC, Simplex, Maillard and several other French brands.

Spidel or any of those brands would be correct for the Tricolore.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
petergross2
verktyg

the former owner didn't comment about the bike in any way, i guess it was some kind of garage find.
it is actually guesswork after looking at the catalog and some pics i found around the www.

the information about the seat post is really valuable. i will check that out ASAP.

one more detail that caught my eye is a little piece of metal spot-welded to the underside of the down tube, obviously where the clap-onframe shifter was mounted - but then this might be a detail found on all the bikes, what do i know...

gathering all the right parts will be the challenge, although ebay france has lots of stuff.

thanks again
peter

p.s.: anyone know how to ID a peugeot from the 60´s?! and I've been through all the easy to find sites already. Shocked
Frame ID 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
These frames were made in 3 different varieties.

1. Reynolds 531 3 main tubes. Carbon steel forks and rear stays.

2. All Reynolds 531 tubing.

3. All Super Vitus Tubing. It could have been Super Vitus 971 or 980.

Shine a light into the bottom bracket and look for seams inside the chain stays. Reynolds 531 and Super Vitus tubing were all seamless.

If you see a seam like in this picture then only the 3 main tubes are Reynolds 531.

No seams then all the tubes are made of top quality tubing.

Reynolds 531 sticker for 3 main tubes.

Last edited by verktyg on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
petergross2
verk

you're the man

thx, will check

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
petergross2
checked the chain stays´inside: seam Crying or Very sad

sa, according to your last post, only the main triangle is made from the better tubes.

however, i already found a bunch of spidel parts and will try to rebuild it as nice as i can.

thanks again

peter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
petergross2 wrote:
checked the chain stays´inside: seam Crying or Very sad

so, according to your last post, only the main triangle is made from the better tubes.

however, i already found a bunch of spidel parts and will try to rebuild it as nice as i can.

thanks again

peter

Not to worry, it should be a nice riding and handling bike. Gitane tended to use lighter (thinner wall thickness) forks and stays for their non Reynolds tubes than the cheap carbon steel on their less expensive bikes.

This was in comparison to the heavier tubing used on entry level bikes like the Gran Sport.

During the 60s and early 70s a lot of French mid range bikes used Reynolds 3 main tubes with Durifort forks and stays which probably have the same wall thickness as on your frame.

The Tour de France bikes made for the US market from about 1968 to 1973 were all Reynolds 531 tubing.

(well actually not, the steerers were made by Nervor and brake and chainstay bridges were some kind of cheap rolled steel with a seam. They probably saved enough Centimes to buy a weeks worth of croissants) Confused

In 1974-75 Gitane switched to non Reynolds forks and stays on the TdF frames. Also most of the European TdF frames from the late 60s until 1976 were made with the same kind of non Reynolds tubes.

So put it together and have fun riding it.

Here's my 1974 TdF. Listmeister Stephan who sold it to me had it equipped with all Campagnolo components.

It's now mostly period correct French parts.

If you've not ridden many high performance bikes you probably wouldn't notice a big difference between your frame and an all Reynolds 531 frame. You will notice a difference between it and a lower end bike.

Also, a Super Vitus frame is going to be a lot lighter and more "supple". That is it will absorb road shock and vibration better.

Alloy steels like Reynolds and Super Vitus are stronger than standard carbon steel used on less expensive bikes. This allows the tubing to be thinner and thus more springy.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica