gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Pro Racing - Classics/Giro/Tour.... » Somewhat off topic but relevant - Story on Carbon bikes
Somewhat off topic but relevant - Story on Carbon bikes 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Off topic but relevant...

Skinny pipe, steel frame riding retro grouches can feel some measure of satisfaction and vindication in this article about "carbon" - i.e. Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic frames and components! Razz Razz Razz

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/sports/cycling/as-technology-makes-bicycles-lighter-and-faster-it8217s-the-cyclists-falling-harder.html?_r=1

I've been beating this drum for for over 40 years! First got involved with Carbon Fiber Reinforced Epoxy products in the 1970s! Twisted Evil

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Interesting article. I never thought carbon bikes made sense for most people, and one hears about forks failing with sometimes fatal results, but I figured teams with factory sponsorship would replace frames or forks that had been in a crash and might fail. They seem to be saying that today's stupid light frames can't last even as long as a professional team expects and are contributing to injuries. I know injuries are nothing new, but there seemed to be a lot of fairly serious ones in the TDF. Maybe they should follow Japanese track racing, where all the parts have to meet approval and I think they still require lugged steel frames. Bike manufacturers sponsor teams to sell their latest greatest bikes, but all the kids that ride fixies want the Japanese steel frames and approved parts.

Dave
weight is irrelevant 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:37 am Reply with quote
gman309905
presently tipping the scales at 260 lbs I am not brave enough to venture out on a carbon frame, I'll stick with steel, makes me feel a lot safer.
Somewhat off topic but relevant - Story on Carbon bikes 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Pro Racing - Classics/Giro/Tour....