gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » New Gitane - first in 7 yrs
New Gitane - first in 7 yrs 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
scozim
It's been a long time in finding my next Gitane to go with my 1984 Sprint and Tour de France. But, today that time finally came.

Thanks to MiloFrance I was able to obtain his mid-70's Gitane Olympic. This has had cable, shifter and water bottle bosses brazed on and then it was repainted. The paint, itself, is in really good condition.

But, best of all it has the Huret honeycomb dropouts. I saw those for the first time in 2008 or 2009 and decided I had to have one at that time. Just took awhile to get there.

Hopefully I won't offend the purists but this bike will not be built to original specs. I build my bikes to ride and this one is earmarked for the Cino Heroica ride in Montana next September. I will post progress photos as I build it up. I'm waiting for some 1978 reproduction decals along with 531 decals. The Dura Ace sticker on the frame will be removed.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Congratulations Scott, Nice find. Will look forward to photos of your build !!

I Like Steel !!!

C.A.
Salina, Ks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
scozim
Parts are getting accumulated.

Reproduction 1978 decals showed up yesterday and reproduction French 531 decals should be here soon.

Drivetrain will be a Stronglight 103 crankset (stripping the cruddy anodizing) with 52-38 gearing. 7 spd 12-24 Sachs Aris freewheel. Simplex SX610 rear derailleur and SJA102 front (could still use one of these if anyone has one).

The brakes will be Shimano 600 Arabesque that I've had from a different bike my neighbor had given me. They're in great shape and the levers are drilled which is a nice look.

Stem and bars are CTA and Phillippe.

Shifters are Simplex - the Dura Ace decal will be coming off.

Saddle is a red Flite with Look style Forte clipless pedals. Seatpost is the royal pain in the rear 2 bolt Campagnolo at 26.4.

I have two different wheelsets for it. Mavic GP4 tubular(rear hub is Mavic, front is Campagnolo) and Rigida clincher (Normandy Luxe Competition hubs).

Finally, as you may have guessed I'm playing off the red stars in the decals so there will be red housing and bar tape.

Mock up - note the crankset is not the one I'll be using

Plus many more

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:19 am Reply with quote
scozim
Reproduction decals went on this past weekend (finally). They look great. The Dura Ace decal that was on the frame peeled off nicely and I'll order some French reproduction 531 decals soon.

Further mock up with the colors I'll be using.

I'm missing a key part for the Shimano 600 Arabesque front brake. I do have a functional Weinmann 500 for the front but need a rear brake. So if anyone has a spare nutted Weinmann 500 for the rear that I could use and are willing to part with let me know

Plus many more
New Gitane - first in 7 yrs 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane