gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » I found a frame and a project (Olympic/Super Corsa)
I found a frame and a project (Olympic/Super Corsa) 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Dragon
Hi I am new to this forum. After I recenty bought a Gitane Gran Tour from 1983, I stepped over a Gitane frame sold on ebay.

As it appears to be an Super Corsa (Olympic) frame from around 1970+, I want to rebuild it over the coming months. Apart from anything else I do have two questions. I have not yet decided what bottom bracket will be used. Either Stronglight or Campagnolo are possible. The question is what lenght of axle will be needed?
Second questions is, if there are color references, as the frame will have to be repainted. The reference needed will require paint producer and the paint reference numbers, as it will otherwise be impossible to find the metalic paints use by Gitane. Even for something as simple as white the possibilities are endless. Is this information somewhere available?

As I am using an iPad it appears impossible to upload pictures. Very sorry as I know pictures normally are the currency on a forum.

Edit: Found out how - and sorry my name is Michael

Last edited by Dragon on Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
Dragon
Now the images

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Looks like a very good project. I'm not sure on the exact spindle length but it seems to me I read somewhere that 118mm is the length for a Stronglight double crankset.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Dragon
Thank you for the info on the Stronglight axle to go with the Stronghlight 93 crank. As I also have a Campanolo crank waiting to go on a bike and this frame would be appropriate, I am still interested if someone can help with the lenght of the Campa axle. As they are not too cheap, I would like to buy the correct lenght on the first try!
Campagnolo Bottom Bracket Spindle Width 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
THERE IS NO SIMPLE ANSWER to Campagnolo bottom bracket spindle widths.

First you have to determine exactly which model Campy cranks that you have then find a BB that will fit.

Hint: the cups will have 35mm x 1mm threads and the spindle will be marked 68mm wide in the center section (70mm spindles are for Italian BBs).

Campagnolo spindles can range from 103mm to 116mm wide depending on the model crank arms, for example Nuovo Record/Super Record, Gran Sport, Nuovo Gran Sport, Victory, Triomphe, C-Record, Chorus and so on.

Then there differences between years.

To make matters worse, there were thin cups and thick cups!

There is lot's of information on the internet for identifying Campagnolo cranks and BBs. Check out pages 5 to 8 in this Campagnolo bulletin for NR/SR BBs.

http://www.campyonly.com/history/record_news/record_news_vol_1-2.pdf

Also check out velobase.com (most of the information is correct)

So the next time some dummkopf besserwisser (entschuldigen sie mein deutsch) talks about how complicated Französisch bicycle components are just show them this message!!!

Come back if you need more help...

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote
Dragon
Thanks for the info and I have read the campyonly article. This is additional insight. Conclusion is that 68SS120 should be marking on the axle. What I did not find is any clue on thin and thick cups. For a french bike any but french thread and 68mm bottom bracket would be - say interesting.

The cranks were sold as Record (unmarked) pre 72. This should be just correct for the bike. Velobase has only 68 and 74 Campy catalogues and I don't know when the Super Record Group was introduced. At least cranks on the bikes shown in the Gitane catalogues 70/74 look like they were from the Record group.

Unfortunately this does not tell me much about the required axle lenght! I may have overlooked it, but at least did not see anything helping with this.

PS As you wrote more than three German words without a spelling mistake I am honoured! This is an achievement rarely found in any American or English publication! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Dragon
Meanwhile the frame was traveling in Germany for repairs, then to Italy for rechroming and to Berlin for paint. It is now ready to return to me! So over the winter I should be able to assemble the bike. I am very much looking forward to put it together and see if everything prepared to go on the bike will really fit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 am Reply with quote
sjstretch
That looks amazing!!! Very nice build...
I found a frame and a project (Olympic/Super Corsa) 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane