gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » help Identifying my first trip into the vintage realm
help Identifying my first trip into the vintage realm 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Owensvllyroadie
help everyone I have been admiring vintage steel bikes and french bikes especially , in my yard sale travels yestarday I came across this Gitane and purchased for $10 . my biggest question is can anyone help me figure out what year it is and does it look like everything is in the right places . it is a Grand sport Deluxe.

thanks for any help in advance ..
Tony

1969-1972 Gitane Gran Sport 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Easy, it's a 1969-1972 Gitane Gran Sport. These were entry level models. Everything looks original except maybe the stem shifters. It's in great shape for a ~45 year old bike.

These bikes sold for ~$75 to $90 USD. $10 is a great find! Cool

This bike has a 50cm (19 1/2") size frame made for someone for a short inseam.

Does it fit you? The correct frame size can be calculated by the "standover height" method. You should be able to straddle the bike and have 1" to 2" of clearance between the top tube and your body. Any more, the frame is too small.

If the bike fits, I wouldn't spend too much money upgrading it. New tires and tubes, a major tuneup including new brake and derailleur cables plus housing and new handlebar tape.

This could cast as much as ~$200 at a bike shop. If you take it to a shop and their eyes roll back as they say "FRENCH BIKE"... slowly back out the door and run away!

Find a shop with someone with experience working on old French bikes.

I recommend that you get a modern saddle. Those old plastic saddles were painfully uncomfortable!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
Owensvllyroadie
Thank you for your time and the information Chas , the frame is a great fit and that is the reason picked it up . I am glad it is original , I have heard that the French bikes are great rides I almost fell over finding it here in town as we are not in what I would call a major market for these types of bikes . I have rebuilt bikes since I was a young boy so now it is time to start on this one , hoping to have it in riding shape soon Cool. my first 10 speed I had in high school was a Peugeot, I guess French bikes are in my blood . is it very hard to find the correct bracket for mounting the shifter back on the down tube ? any help for parts sources would be wonderful .

thanks

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
69trdef
Hi Tony, I bought one of those in 69. Also, I just bought the proper shifter off of E-bay out of France last week. Better yet, this is what you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Simplex-Shift-Lever-Levers-2-x-5-Speed-Down-Tube-Clamp-On-Road-Used-/131900952889?hash=item1eb5e8d139:g:DlkAAOSwyLlXpnRF Also check if there are one in better condition, I just found this quickly to show you the part. Bob Cool
help Identifying my first trip into the vintage realm 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane