gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Salvaging parts from broken bike(or possible repair)
Salvaging parts from broken bike(or possible repair) 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
lubiyeh
The top tube on my early 80s Gitane Sprint broke clean through yesterday. I loved this bike(it was originally my fathers) but I'm not sure if there's much that can be done to save it.

My understanding is that with French components, I would have trouble with a non-French frame. The stem says Cateye and the crank says Nervar. Would I be able to use anything from this bike on say(bottom bracket, seat post, etc), an 89 Cannondale SR-800 frame?

Is it possible/affordable to repair a broken tube? I've read mixed, mostly negative information online.
Re: Salvaging parts from broken bike(or possible repair) 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
scozim
lubiyeh wrote:
The top tube on my early 80s Gitane Sprint broke clean through yesterday. I loved this bike(it was originally my fathers) but I'm not sure if there's much that can be done to save it.

My understanding is that with French components, I would have trouble with a non-French frame. The stem says Cateye and the crank says Nervar. Would I be able to use anything from this bike on say(bottom bracket, seat post, etc), an 89 Cannondale SR-800 frame?

Is it possible/affordable to repair a broken tube? I've read mixed, mostly negative information online.

Do you have any photos of the bike and components that would help us date the bike. The biggest issue will probably be the threaded components - headset and bottom bracket. Bottom bracket would be 68 mm but could be French, Swiss or English thread depending on the year of the bike. Although, I'm not sure how much Gitane used Swiss thread. I doubt the seatpost would work - the 1998 Cannondale I just traded to my brother had a 27.s seat post vs 26.6 or 26.4 on my Gitane bikes.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Salvaging parts from broken bike(or possible repair) 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane