gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » ISO 73' TDF Fork
ISO 73' TDF Fork 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:00 pm Reply with quote
aaceve7
Hello! I recently got into an accident with my 73' TDF and bent the fork (someone turned left in front of me). I would love to replace it with as close to the original as possible. The frame is 58cm and from the best of my knowledge it is a 1973. It's been heavily customized over the years, but it previously was orange with foil decals. I have not had any luck on ebay or craigslist. Any help would be appreciated. If you need more information let me know and I'll try my best to provide it.

Re: ISO 73' TDF Fork 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:07 am Reply with quote
verktyg
aaceve7 wrote:
Hello! I recently got into an accident with my 73' TDF and bent the fork (someone turned left in front of me). I would love to replace it with as close to the original as possible. The frame is 58cm and from the best of my knowledge it is a 1973. It's been heavily customized over the years, but it previously was orange with foil decals. I have not had any luck on ebay or craigslist. Any help would be appreciated. If you need more information let me know and I'll try my best to provide it.

Welcome to the now pretty much dead Forum. The action has moved to Facebook but since I don't do social media, I don't go there.

To answer your question, it looks like your fork can be straightened and may not need to be replaced.

During the 1970's Gitane unlike Peugeot and Motobecane used butted Nervor brand steerers that were decent quality.

A good frame builder or shop with a fork jig should be able to straighten the steerer and realign the forks.

The crown race seat will need to be refaced so that its perpendicular to the steerer.

I'd look into that route first.

You could also try contacting Wayne Bingham, he had some replacement Gitane 531 forks:

Wayne Bingham
Velo Classique
100 East 'O' Street
Purcellville, VA 20132 USA
540-338-8376

Good luck,

Chas.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Possible Replacement 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:14 am Reply with quote
Yellowfox
Hi aaceve7,

Sad to hear of your accident.

I have just seen you post a year or more on so you may have replaced by now? But I am in the UK London and have a Gitane Professional Reynolds 531 Competition Tour De France Racer Bike that I don’t use enough as I am getting older and lack motivation.

Lots of history 10 out of 10 bike. Was a France Tour De France riders winter training bike early 80’s I was told when I bought it in 2014. I have found it very special as has lovely internal brake cables sunk into the crossbar and a competitor number lugs under the crossbar which I find really cool.

If you or any other enthusiast would like to buy please make me a sensible offer or enquire for more details Campagnolo throughout, Record hubs. 58.5cm’s. I have a file on the bike.

Derykbull@yahoo.co.uk / 07803 250385
Possible Replacement 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:15 am Reply with quote
Yellowfox
Hi aaceve7,

I have just seen you post a year or more on so you may have replaced by now? But I am in the UK London and have a Gitane Professional Reynolds 531 Competition Tour De France Racer Bike that I don’t use enough as I am getting older and lack motivation.

Lots of history 10 out of 10 bike. Was a France Tour De France riders winter training bike early 80’s I was told when I bought it in 2014. I have found it very special as has lovely internal brake cables sunk into the crossbar and a competitor number lugs under the crossbar which I find really cool.

If you or any other enthusiast would like to buy please make me a sensible offer or enquire for more details Campagnolo throughout, Record hubs. 58.5cm’s. I have a file on the bike.

Possible Replacement 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:17 am Reply with quote
Yellowfox
Hi aaceve7,

Possible Replacement 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:17 am Reply with quote
Yellowfox
Hi aaceve7,

ISO 73' TDF Fork 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane