gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane Kilo info
Gitane Kilo info 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quote
brotopher
Just got the Kilo model, and i'm very excited, and its all built up sans a seatpost....anybody know the size of these? i think i've read that vitus tubes take either 26.4, or 26.8. Don't have the proper tools to measure at home. Also, i plant on refurbishing it back to its original color and decals...anyone have a hi res pic, or reference of the black/silver of this model...would like to try to match it as close as possible!

i'll post pics for sure once it's finished!

thanks,
chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I have one at home, and have posted pictures of it on the site. I might be able to get you some better pictures. The paint will be difficult to match, as it is a black to almost purple color, which may or may not show up in the pictures. I have an original set of decals (excepting fork decals and "kilo" top tube decal) that I would be willing to sell to you...send me a Private Message to discuss.

I will take a look at the seat post tonight and let you know the size.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
I had the same concern with the bike I'm building. If you take it to a bike shop, they should have a tool that fits into the seat tube, and from how far it goes in you can tell the size. I think this kind of tool is more accurate especially if your seat tube isn't exactly round, due to abuse over the years. Also some models may have been built with different tubing at different times. My Super Corsa, like most, uses a 26.4 seat post, if I remember rightly, but there seem to be some that take a 26.6.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:40 am Reply with quote
brotopher
i bought a cheapy 26.4 last night on the way home from work and was all excited to ride...got about an inch in, and that was is it. was shaving the aluminum as i pushed down...so 26.2? what a pain in the arse. shouldn't seatpost slide in easy?

chris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
My Kilo takes a 26.6. You may have to take in your frame and have the seattube cleaned out.

By the way, I bought mine as a frameset, so all of the parts are my own "frankenbike" creation.

Seat Post Clamp 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
verktyg
brotopher,

The seat post should slide into the seat tube with very little pressure.

Frequently seat tubes are squeezed out of round by clamping down on an undersized seatpost. Notice how the clamp eyes in the picture below are touching.

Sometimes the top of the seat tube gets distorted by the excess heat that's required to braze on the seat stays. The seat tubes should be reamed to size after the frame is finished. Sometimes excess paint gets into the seat tube causing the hole to be under size. You can see signs of out of roundness and paint in the pictures below.

I have an adjustable reamer that I use on most frames to get them to proper size. A GOOD bike shop should have the proper reamer if that is necessary. I also run an automotive brake cylinder hone or hone brush down the seat tube to clean up any excess burrs or paint.

Before reaming I make sure that the seat tube clamp is not squeezed too small. I use a screwdriver or pry bar to gently expand the eyes of the seatpost clamp to the point where the slot in the tubing is parallel from top to bottom as in the blue frames above.

Chas.
Gitane Kilo info 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane