gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1985 Gitane Defi - Part Sourcing
1985 Gitane Defi - Part Sourcing 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote
speedy
First of all - great site. I really appreciate the information here, especially the catalogue database. Most of what I know about my bike is due to that.

Here's a picture of my bike, in question.

First of all, I did something stupid and lost my rear barrel adjuster while I was working on the bike.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a compatible barrel adjuster? Is any generic one likely to work? If I could get an original part somewhere... I would pay. The brakes are modolo corsa.

Secondly, I believe my BB is going, and I was wondering if people know a compatible sealed unit. I also want to add some pedals that I can get shoes to clip into and make it a more serious racing/training bike. Will it be difficult to find compatible parts? Any suggestions?

Thanks to all in advance.

I also have many detail picturs of the bike if anyone wants me to post them to aid discussion or just for amusement Razz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:52 am Reply with quote
scozim
If I remember yours is an '85 or '86 correct? I don't have much info on the barrel adjuster for you. I've been pretty successful with my local bike shop letting me scrounge through his used parts boxes when I need small miscellaneous stuff.

I bought a pair of Nashbar Look style clipless pedals last fall for my '84 Sprint and they work great. My '84 Tour de France has some of the first generation white Look clipless pedals. The cleats work for both of those. While, bulkier, I like having the look of the 80's style pedals a little better and actually traded for a second set for another bike I'm building.

There's a lot of options for clipless if you go that route. A friend of mine bought some some mtb pedals that are clipless on one side and platform on the other. My 13 yo son bought a pair of mtb Shimano SPD pedals that are double sided for his road bike. Works perfectly for him because he can clip in without having to rotate the pedal first.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
speedy
As promised, here are some pictures. Hopefully I didn't post too many (I do most things in the extreme)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
speedy,
Were you at a local Swap Meet trying to negotiate a deal for the Car? Very Happy

Jay

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane